Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Blogging as a career






















Lately, the hubby and I have been discussing career choices for moi.  For those that know me well, for the past 20 plus years I've been an inspector.  I'm technically a Certified weld inspector with NDT (non destructive testing) certifications in x-ray, ultrasound, magnetic particle, fluorescent and visual penetrant, oil sampling and visual inspecting.  For now, just know it's career basis came from my Air Force training and that I continued to expand the career for myself because it was lucrative.   .....with that said, I never chose this career.  I chose to be a nurse when I went in the service at 17 years old.  But, bad choices and youth (aka: a cute young naive girl joined the air force and discovered the opposite sex liked her and she lost her inner voice when she drank)....also, I'll insert that lesson was learned fast to get myself together so my mom didn't kick my butt for possibly keeping up my young ways and getting kicked out of said Air Force (luckily totally learned my lesson and even kept myself mostly respectable).....anywho, I got kicked out of the nursing program and thrown into a career that was losing people and in desperate need of more airmen before Chanute AFB, IL closed down as the particular school training those airmen.   .......alright, now fast forward to today.  I dropped the money and stayed home.  I gained an angel despite my preferring a daughter at home.  My teenager grew up without me ready and now I have this 6 foot 3 man in my house that is in high school and teaching me stuff about myself that I don't always want to hear or know.  (I recently learned that I basically became my own mom...which of course, I said I'd never do.)  I have Sawyer who is about 2 and a half and one heck of a challenge.  We were advised in February to have him undergo some testing for autism and we chose to ignore it all.  Recently, we decided instead of fearing another kiddo with an issue or labeling our son as seems the trend nowadays, to go ahead and have him checked out.  More on that to come.  And then there is the babiest-baby, Connor.  With medical science on our side and having been tested for everything under the sun when Ireland was discovered to have CDH (congenital diaphragmatic hernia), we learned our chances of a future child having any problems was like 99.99999999% not possible.  Enter God and our plans.  Connor is born with a developmental issue that will cause his first year of life to be rattled with surgeries and medical care that I had no idea I'd be capable of performing or understanding.  And with that, today, Connor has issues, some less worrisome than others.......but all in all, he's doing normal toddler things.  Actually, Connor is my brave and totally fearless baby.  This is awesome and also scary as you-know-what.  He's a climber too.  Thus, the fear and little explanation of him and Sawyer having dumped all of his drawers out and me coming in to find the very heavy dresser fallen over (picture above).........sometimes, we just feel lucky in this house.  Not a soul was hurt.   ...........OK, now the explanation of my post title.  ........I'm home.  I love it.  It's the career I chose.  But the pay stinks.  When we decided it was best for me to stay home while the babies were little, I dropped our income by more than one half.  Luckily, we had paid off all of our debt but lo and behold, Connor was then born and bless his heart because it's surely not his own fault, but medical care and deductibles are not cheap.  Even this year where life has been easier, we've reached our deductible and sure enough, that deductible will most likely go up next year.  Soooooo, money.  I can't say we need it though in a way we do because I suck at sticking to a budget.  All of our basic needs are met with one income, even with medical extras not covered with insurance.  We even have a little extra if we're truly honest.  Problem is, despite Pinterest and all the beautiful quotes and the kumbaya world letting me know I don't need stuff or extras.........I like stuff....I like extras.  We don't necessarily need to eat out all the time because I like being home and don't mind cooking.......BUT, I suck at the whole meal planning thing too.  And decorating.  I loooooove messing with all my stuff, my furniture and knickknacks....the home we live in....LOOOOVE it.  Oh, how I like pretty things.   Sooooooo......we need more money because we're not those awesome people (scratch that, because Mikey is awesome with budgeting, his wife just sucks at it) that stick to the budget.   We need more money so life can be a little more balanced.  The awesome thing is, we don't need a ton of extra money.  Mikey has a budget where we'll be debt free again by the time the boys are in school (i'm talking cars and credit cards paid off...at that point, we should be able to pay any deductible fees out of pocket without too much of a problem, pending surgeries are not needed).  That's if I buckle down and really do what I need to do and stick to his awesome plan.  And bless my heart, I will do great one week and then I'll spy something awesome, and there I blew it.  So the money we need is basically for me.  Sad, ridiculous to write, but honest as honest can be.  And the funny thing is, I don't need a ton of extra.  Like I've said before I love home.  Truly, friends don't understand why we prefer home to going out.  BUT, I love to have people over and I love to hear compliments of a good meal, or a painted thing-a-ma-bob, or know that said friends or family felt comfy within our walls and that we all had a blast together.  And well, to feed those friends and family cost a little extra.  To feed them the way I want with nice decor, an extra here and there, and to feel that I've spoiled my family and our guests, well that costs a little extra.  ......and let's also admit that when I live in Utah and our extended families are on the other side of the country...well, that's an added expense to keep up relationships if we actually want to see them or even send out Christmas gifts.    ...........so again, career choices...money.  I'd be a great nurse but right now, schooling and too much time away from home is not realistic, nor is the eventual racking up of more bills very wise.  I could be hired today for NDT or CWI jobs, but part of me has always hated that job despite the money...we don't want to go there right now.  Walmart and local businesses are a part time option and right now, they are on the table....but, I'm kind of a pain in the butt and worked so long largely on my own, I'm not real sure how I'd be with some snot nosed twit giving me directions.  Then again, I like people in general and most jobs are far from beneath me....goodness knows, a year of caring for some special needs can make gross things not such a big deal.  A book.  I've been told over and over again to write.  And honestly, how cool is that?!  But really, I'm not as good as anyone thinks.  My punctuation/spelling/grammar is awful, I use dots like they're part of English writing, and I'm too scatter brained.  .......but Blogging.  I like doing that.  I like putting out in the world what I want.  With Ireland's blog, I wrote nearly every day and even today, people check that blog out.  ......so, I'm going to do this.  I have to or I'm heading to the local walmart or other local business.  ........I'm up nearly everyday at around 4am with a cup of coffee and more times than not, I'm scouring others blogs.  When I'm not doing that, my face is in a book, nook or kindle.  ......so, yes, I love writing and reading more than anything.  I just have so very much to learn.  So for now, I'm going to work on defining what my blog will be.  I can only look at Ireland's blog because I did write nearly every day and I was consistently posting.  I've thought about being specific on a topic as I was with her blog but I think I just need to be true to who I am in order to blog successfully........and that means trying to organize my "scatter-brained-ness".  I figure I'm a mom, I'm a wife, I'm a wanna be decorator, I'm a wishing like crazy I cooked like Donna or Sarah (my uber talented sister-in-laws), I'm a good daughter that wishes she could do more several thousand miles away, I'm a thrift store shopper that still doesn't stick to her budget, I'm a wanna be photographer that takes really good pictures one day and then not so great the next, I love crafty stuff but only if it's going to look like something I'd actually purchase, I'm a dreaming of being a savvy techno chic, and well......we all wish we could do it all.  So, I figure, I'm just going to be consistent.  I can get up and if not every single day, at least every other day, blog.  As I learn things, I'll also share.  I do know a few things that can help friends that I'd love to see start blogging or writing.  (by the way, being an avid reader, I'm wanting to confess here that I went to high school with a guy that wrote a book.  He's awesome.  I never finished said book because medical scares happened and I put that book down.  Sometime, hopefully sooner than later, I'm going to read his book and give an honest to goodness review and hopefully bring him a little revenue because the fact that he wrote a book is beyond cool to me.  His name is Charles Cooper and what I did read was really good despite me not knowing in this moment the name of his book.  It is on the kindle if you want to check him out.)  .......OK, so today, I'm going to work on defining topics that I can write about everyday, what format I'll use, I'll learn how to generate more views, generate some moo-lah, I'll actually celebrate my 9th anniversary to my world's bestest husband ever!!!, I'll not ignore my kiddos for the sake of this blog, and I'll truly try to share everything here.  ......and for those that worry about me sharing my kids with the world, don't.  It's a decision I'm comfortable with and I only share what I'm comfortable with.  Also, I'm an expert marksman.  I've got cool military credentials on that.  Maybe I'll talk about that on here one day because I'm definitely opinionated about gun ownership.  And really, last but not least, I'm the type that spews my opinions all over a blog but my friends and family could all easily vouch that I'm about as accepting as I can possibly be.  I won't say I'm God's ideal because wow, that's just snotty and probably sacrilege.....but, I can say I try to live in a way that does not judge others because I do not know their personal story.  I ask that people not judge me as I share my stories/life here and there because trust me, I've probably left out a ton of back story and it's safe to say that no one else has walked my personal path.
And for today...my focus is how awesome my marriage is.  Nine years ago today, Mikey and I got married.  To the world of his friends and family, he's this hilarious, smart mouthed, and yet really great guy.  He's those things to me too but really, I know his sweet side and beyond trials that's thrown our way or everyday ignorant hiccups we throw at each other, we've got an amazing thing going.  We made ourselves a little family the day we chose to be one nine years ago and man, I'm forever happy I made that decision.  Many like to say we're perfect together.......and I love to say nothing is perfect because that is true....but ya know, more than anything our life is pretty dang easy and nice and happy together.  We can be loud together and totally quiet, we can be joined at the hip or on our own, we can forgive each other when we've been selfish or just had a stupid moment, we can talk about anything without feeling judgement, and we see a ton of beauty in each other that the world outside doesn't need to see or isn't capable of seeing,  and to me.......that's close to perfection.  We are comfortable and close.  I never doubt his love for me and I do my best to love him in a way that shows he's loved.  I can totally be mushy right now and play some awesome 80's hits or stand-by-your-man country songs.....  All I can say is that I genuinely hope we both live a very long time together.  We seem to adapt to each other in a way that makes me not fear getting old together.  I never thought I could truly live with another person without them invading "my space".  I don't want to call me selfish because that's just a topic for another time but I do like being alone.  I like me and I think it's essential to happiness............but man, Mikey gets me like no other.  We're together more than most couples I know due to his work schedule and yet, it works for us.  Sure, he can drive me insane at times but mostly, he can give me a look and somehow I can feel melty or just laugh.  That is awesome.  That is foreverness and love and all the gooey stuff that makes a good story or one hit wonder.  I truly love my man.  When you read this, Happy Anniversary!...this little paragraph is your Hallmark for the day.


  










Always invading my space....getting in my business....touching me....crazy schmuck, I love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment